For me, there is no comparison between home-made pizzas and shop bought ones. The humble home-made pizza is a firm favourite amongst my family. My dad definitely holds the pizza making crown but my sister and I are determined to give him some competition! This is our trusty recipe we follow for a delicious home-made pizza.
What you will need to make two pizza bases:
- 500g strong white flour
- 1 tea-spoon of fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tea-spoon of salt
- 350ml tepid water
- 2 table-spoons of olive oil
- Sieve the flour into a bowl, then add the yeast and salt.
- Make a well in the flour and add water and olive oil.
- Now for the messy bit- use your hands to mix it all together until it goes into a smooth elastic dough.
- Once smooth take the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface and knead for ten minutes.
- Shape into a round ball and put back into mixing bowl, cover with cling film, leave in a warm place for an hour (e.g. airing cupboard, near radiator, hot plate).
- When you return to the dough it should have risen, now turn it out of the bowl, cut in half (as the mixture you have made is for 2 pizzas), knead both for 2-3 minutes.
- Using a floured rolling pin roll out the dough until about 1cm thick, and place on two baking trays.
- Spread passata over the two pizza bases (you really don't need too much), sprinkle over mixed herbs/oregano. Add crumbled mozzarella and then add your toppings of choice...we used mushrooms, olives, ham and peppers.
- Grate over some more cheese if you like your pizzas cheesy!
- Pop in a pre-heated oven at 200 degrees for 10-15 minutes.
Serve with a side salad or home-made potato wedges and enjoy! xxx